1927 Indian Motorcycle

oz-20001927 Indian Motorcycle Unrestored   -Joint entry number 14 Greg Stevens & Christine  Stevens

 Among the finest machines ever built, the Indian – within a decade of its’ birth in 1901 – was achieving 100 mph speeds and setting speed and distance records.

The Indian revolutionized law enforcement when, in New York City in 1905, the New York Police Department abandoned their bicycles for the new Indians, initializing the birth of the motorcycle cop.

The founder of the Indian Motorcycle Company was George M. Hendee, one of the greatest bicycle racers of all time, and winner of an astounding 302 of 309 races in which he was a competitor. Parpicture16tnering with engineering whiz Oscar Hedstrom, the duo built the Indian Motorcycle Company into the world’s largest manufacturer of its kind by its twelfth year of operation.

In 1926, the company acquired the assets of a filing competitor, Ace Motorcycle. Those assets included the right to manufacture and add to Indian’s product line the fantastic four-cylinder motorcycle that was Ace’s premier product. Renamed the “Indian Four”, the machine was successfully marketed to police departments and the sporting public.

The 101 Scout Model, introduced in 1928, was powered by the Scout V-Twin. The machine’s brisk acceleration, speed and road responsiveness soon made it the cycle of choice for stunt riders.

The Indian Motorcycle Company’s half-century run finally ended in 1953. Despite continuous orders of cycles by the New York Police Department, profit margins were too low to sustain the company’s continuation.

1926 Whippet 96 Roadster oo

oz-2000picture13

A ‘ground up’ restoration in 1971 included Robert rebuilding a few panels, the mechanical’s were in good condition. Robert mentioned replacing a selection of brake parts but I suspect if he were to write out a list it would be as long as my arm.. It was painted in Roberts back yard and the hood was made out of BMW fabric by a 23 year old fellow who was taught his trade by his grandfather. The original hood bows were retained.  Robert is ‘on the net’ so I am hoping to update this page soon and include an Email address.

1926 WHIPPET 96 ROADSTER

John N. Willys Company – Willys Overland – was one of the largest manufacturers of automobiles in the United States in the early part of the twentieth century, producing the Willys Knight, The Americar and the Whippet. The company reached peak production in the mid 1920’s.

The Whippet 96 Roadster was produced from 1926 to 1928 and was advertised as “The Car of Youth”, specifically designed and priced to appeal to the younger set. Smartly styled, the 1926 Whippet roadster was a two-seater with a rear “rumble seat” that could comfortably accommodate two more passengers.

A four cylinder model capable of reaching 55 miles per hour, the Whippet 96 roadster was first introduced to the public in June of 1926. The car had innovative technical features for the time such as four wheel brakes, water pump cooling and pressurized lubrication, a roomy yet compact body, low center of gravity and economy of operation.

The car achieved immediate popularity and the export market was quickly probed with Australia a prime target. The Roadster, which sold for up to $525 US was marketed in England for $240 UK and $199 Australian. The deluxe model was for export only and sold for $250 UK and $220 Australian.

Strangely enough, the 1926 model, though advertised as a Whippet and stated as such in the car’s manual, did not have the Whippet name on the vehicle itself. The hub caps and radiator were marked “Overland”. This was changed in the 1927 model when the new six cylinder automobile was introduced as the Whippet 93A.

The last of the Whippet 96 models were produced in 1928 with final production ending in December of that year.

1929 Plymouth ‘U’ Model

oz-20001929 Plymouth Model “U”  – emtry number 3 Ken Hicks – Navigator Maureen hicks

picture1

Just a few specifications

Motor: 4 cylinder , side valve                                 175.4 cu inch,

21.3 hp,                                                                         Bore: 3 5/8″

Stroke 4 1/4″                                                                Transmission: 3 speed manual

Fuel supply: vacuum tank off oil pump                 Carburetor Updraft Type

 

 

1927 Reo Flying Cloud

oz-2000Entrant number 22  Daryl and Dee Blights   1927 Reo Flying Cloud

picture18

The car was not complete so the next ten years were devoted to finding the necessary parts. . . Any Parts.  In 1980 the Blights traveled to Cessnock in search of addition parts and in 1985 the body was sent to Bundaberg for restoration.  In 1986, with the hunt for parts still continuing another REO was purchased. And 1990 saw the mechanical restoration begin in earnest.  Finally In 1994 the car was driven from the Blight shed with only fiddly bits to be completed.  The Car has a 6  cylinder engine which produces 65 H.P. at 2800 revs.  Wheelbase is 121 inches Fitted with hydraulic brakes.

 

1927 REO FLYING CLOUD   Brief history

Ransom Olds, son of the owner of one of the turn of the 19th century’s largest manufacturers of gasoline engines, organized the Olds Motor Vehicle Company in Detroit in 1897. Olds sold out to a Michigan lumber magnate and organized the Reo Car Company in 1904.

Prior to selling the Olds Motor Vehicle Company, Ransom held a raffle among his employees to suggest a catchy name for the company’s vehicles. The name “Oldsmobile” was suggested by the company’s timekeeper and it was accepted. When Ransom sold the company, however, he gave up the right to use the name. General Motors bought Olds Motor Vehicle in 1908 and manufactured the Oldsmobile for almost a century.

Starting with a one-cylinder model, the little Reo added a second cylinder. Soon afterward and by 1907, the company’s sales were exceeded only by Ford and Buick. Emphasizing quality over production, the Reo earned a deserved reputation as a reliable and top-performing vehicle.

The Reo Flying Cloud made its introduction in 1927. The sleekly-styled automobile was powered by an L-head 4.1 litre (249 cu. in.) sixty-five horsepower engine and a hydraulic brake system, one of the first of its kind. Reo produced cars until 1936 when due to serious financial problems, the company totally abandoned automobile manufacturing.

Ransom Olds’ contributions to the automobile industry cannot be overestimated. As the designer and manufacturer of expertly engineered and competitively priced cars for the mass market, his innovations in manufacturing strongly contributed to the growth of the industry in the United States.

In 1978, the Reo Motor Car Company plant located in Lansing, Michigan was designated a national historic landmark. Unfortunately, due to site redevelopment pressures, the landmark designation was withdrawn and the plant was demolished in 1980.

 

 

 

1928 OAKLAND

oz-20001928 OAKLAND   Entrant number 52 Driver Geoff Harrington Navigator Barbara Harrington

picture13picture14picture15

Jeoff Bought this All American Six in late 1978 (see photo left)  a nd was promptly told by a few of his friends to “take it to the dump”.

It took two years to restore .Jeoff did the body, including the paint work himself, the upholstery was done elsewhere.   Photo above

photo left – Oakland on its way to attend Oakland                                                                                 rally in  Tasmania

 

 

1949 MGA

oz-20001949 MGA  –   I failed to get details on this entrant

The MGA  is one of the  easiest  to recognise sporty car of  the fifties.   It was from the outset a very pretty car.  Elvis Presley  thought it extremely attractive and the one he owned is still parked  at Graceland.

Three MGA prototypes were entered in the 24 hour  LeMans  of  1955 “The grand prix of endurance  and efficiency ”  one of the cars crashed and the other two came in 12th and 17th .   This  success probably accounted for the great success the MGA had as an export model  Over 100.00 cars were built, the British  sold under 6.000  in the home market.

MGA 1955 to 1962  Extremely collectable,  early models highly sought

 

1949 MGY

oz-20001949 MGY  Entrant number 12 Driver Owen McNeill Navigator Mary McNeill

picture12

The  MGY  was created from a Morris ten the Morris eight and some Wolseley parts.  It was not really as sporty as it looked as it weighed  a bit over a ton. It was not greatly handy for anything over  60 miles per hour.   It did have a sunroof,  leather upholstery,   lots of walnut trim and a tilting windscreen.    That was about all that was needed to  attract the few buyers willing to  upgrade  to a car with a touch more glamour.

An open top version was introduced in 1948 (YT) , it had the same  54 BHP engine with twin SU carburetors  the same as the MG  TC.   The YT was not greatly successful, probably the wrong mixture of sporty and luxury.

In 1953 the Y was replace with the MG Magnette  which was basically a Wolseley 4/44  body with an MG grill,  an attractive car  but not a lot of   oomph.  With weight in excess of  1,130 kg  powered by less than 1500 cc

It is a very collectible car, the MG badge, the two large headlights either side of a grille on a long bonnet is a well sought after look,   four seats. . It s an excellent classic well suited to club outings.

 

 

 

1929 Morris Cowley

oz-20001929 Morris Cowley Entrant number 49 Driver Bob Perry Navigator Truus

Morris Garages may not be a name familiar to anyone but vintage car buffs but everyone is familiar with the popular MG which is actually the Morris Garages’ name shortened to its initials. These initials, within the well-known octagon, were first seen on the running boards of the 14/28 MG Super Sports Morris in 1924.

The company was the Oxfordpicture11 distributor of Morris cars and the MG logo was officially adopted in 1929. Morris Garage began as a bicycle and motorcycle shop. The owner, William Morris, was eventually awarded the title of Lord Nuffield in honor of his considerable contributions to the British automobile industry.

The diminutive Morris Minor was developed as an economic alternative to the company’s larger and costlier six-cylinder models. Two Morris Minor models were produced: a two-seater fabric Saloon and a four-seat Tourer which, in fact, was less costly than the more popular Saloon.

Demand for these popular little cars necessitated limiting color choices in order to keep up with production demands. Fabric models were available only in Niagara Blue and the newer Folding-Head Saloon in brown.

The Morris Minor (1929-1932) was featured in several models:

A 20 HP Fabric Saloon, four-seat Tourer, Sports Coupe and the best-selling two seater with dickey seat. This model was powered by a four-cylinder in-line 1548 cc, 11.9 HP water-cooled engine, designed with 69.5 MM bore X 102 MM stroke aluminum alloy pistons. Additional specifications were a three-speed gear box, spiral-gear driven camshaft, coil ignition and a four-wheel, cable operated brake system.