1949 MGY Entrant number 12 Driver Owen McNeill Navigator Mary McNeill
The MGY was created from a Morris ten the Morris eight and some Wolseley parts. It was not really as sporty as it looked as it weighed a bit over a ton. It was not greatly handy for anything over 60 miles per hour. It did have a sunroof, leather upholstery, lots of walnut trim and a tilting windscreen. That was about all that was needed to attract the few buyers willing to upgrade to a car with a touch more glamour.
An open top version was introduced in 1948 (YT) , it had the same 54 BHP engine with twin SU carburetors the same as the MG TC. The YT was not greatly successful, probably the wrong mixture of sporty and luxury.
In 1953 the Y was replace with the MG Magnette which was basically a Wolseley 4/44 body with an MG grill, an attractive car but not a lot of oomph. With weight in excess of 1,130 kg powered by less than 1500 cc
It is a very collectible car, the MG badge, the two large headlights either side of a grille on a long bonnet is a well sought after look, four seats. . It s an excellent classic well suited to club outings.