1962 Rover 3 Litre mark 1A P5
It seems to be a shared feeling within the classic car communities that the Rover P5 is a treasure among vehicles. It may come as a surprise,then, to learn of the Rover’s oddly humble beginnings, for the first Rover was not a car at all, but rather a stylish tricycle built in 1883 by the Starley & Sutton Company of England. In a time of constant change and upheaval, however, tricycles with excessively large front tires (“penny farthings”) went from being considered an uncomfortable must-have luxury to a safety hazard
As a result, the Starley & Sutton Company had their first chance to prove their salt by producing what eventually became recognized as the world’s first “modern” bicycle.
Fast forward nearly 80 years to 1958, and we meet up with with the Rover P5, an incredibly sturdy “saloon” (or sedan) automobile that was considered both the “middle class Rolls-Royce” and the darling of the U.K. aristocracy. Standard for the P5 series’ Mark 1 was a 3.0 litre, straight-6 f-head engine and either drum brakes or power discs, with the drum brakes being less common. Optional for the Mark 1 was an automatic transmission and power steering. In 1961, the Mark 1-A line was introduced, with the only notable difference between it and the Mark 1 being the addition of front quarter windows. All told, only 20,963 Mark 1 and 1-A Rover P5s had been produced by the time the series ended in 1962.
These days, the P5 series is something of an endangered species, and its relatively low production numbers are only a part of the problem. Most unfortunate is that the car’s famed durability has made it valuable to many so-called “banger racers” in the U.K. As more and more P5’s are appropriated by racers only to be wrecked beyond all repair, there is urgent need for Rover collectors–like the dedicated owner of this rare end-of-series beauty–to step forward and help preserve these storied vehicles.
1968 Volkswagen Beetle
This very original VW was brought over from New Guinea, Noel rebuilt the engine, reconditioned the starter motor, generator etc.. . and with a few new parts here and there The Anderson’s have one great little car. This little lady has done around 69,000 miles, on the original 1200 motor. The paintwork is in the original Oyster Gray.
1946 Coupe Cab Chevrolet Truck owned by Reuben
As you can see from the photo it came off rather poorly with an encounter with a Kangaroo. Reuben has had the Chev for around ten years and he says it was in very poor condition when he bought it, since that time it has undergone (still underway) a total restoration.
This Chevrolet has a Australian built Holden body and it only came in two colours Narva Green and Coolangatta Cream.
Reuben has had the Chev for around ten years and he says it was in very poor condition when he bought it, since that time it has undergone (still underway) a total restoration.
The Truck is still very original, although it is wearing a set of mag wheels and currently running a stromberg carburetor while Reuben was looking for parts for the original Carter. See photo below (although the air filter is in the way)
At the time of writing Reuben has a similar truck due to be restored in his shed, it’s a 1300 series 45 Chev Truck
1920 T model Ford owned by Michael and Sharon Anderson
Michael and Sharon bought the Car from Victoria, it had originally been restored around 24 years ago.
There were a good few late nights bringing the Ford up to roadworthy standard, but even with all the long hours the first outing was a bit of a let down.
This photo taken at Gladstone recently is evidence that the problems have been solved and the car rallies well.
1960 Holden FB owned by Rob and Alma McCulloch
The McCulloch’s have owned this very original FB Holden for around 4 years This photo was taken at Calliope during the GVCCC 30th anniversary rally
1952 Chevrolet owned by Merv and Betty Recow
This Chevrolet is an Australian assembled car with a Holden body. It varies a little from the US version, the most obvious difference being the boot.
1924 Austin 12Owned by Geoffrey and Mariae Doherty x
When Geoffrey purchased this car in 1969 it was in ‘basically complete’ condition, It’s a nice term. But it really means that the new owner will find most of the parts he will need to recondition all in the one spot.
The car had spent a few years at Curtis Island before Geoffrey bought it. And one of the items missing was the clock, it seems the original owner had removed it in 1956. Before it was sold to the Curtis Island owner. In 1988 the clock found its way back where it belonged when Geoffrey managed to negotiate its return to the original owner.