Owned by Geoff and Gay Tangey
Chevrolet Motor Company of Michigan was incorporated in November of 1911 by Louis Chevrolet, William Little and Edwin Campbell, William Durant’s son-in-law, with the purpose of delivering cars worthy of its name, in a market, controlled by the legendary Ford Model T car.
Still the Chevrolet’s power, speed, stability, appearance and price soon made it, not only commercially viable but also worthy competitors to Ford’s traditionalism.
In 1929, Chevrolet introduced its new six-cylinder engine for use in commercial vehicles. This engine was nicknamed ‘the cast iron wonder’ for its remarkable durability, but the coming Depression resulted in substantial loss in its credibility.
Amidst this great Depression, Chevrolet continued to produce cars of the highest industrial standards and the 1931 production line certainly glorified the Chevy image in the face of the tormented automobile market.
The 1931 Chevrolet Independence Series AE Sedan led the assembly line with technical innovations which were unseen at the time. The 5-passenger, 4-door
1931 Chevrolet Sedan featured the following technical specifications:
Rear wheel drive, front motor car
Straight 6-cylinder 3179.7 cc., 3.2 L engine delivering 50.00 HP (36.8 KW) and 2600 RPM
Displacement of 194 Cu.In.
Wheelbase – 109 Inches
Bore x Stroke – 3.13 in x 3.75 in.
Manual 3-Speed Transmission
Its mention worthy that Chevrolet produced its 8 millionth car in 1931, which adequately signifies its status as one of the industry leaders, inspite of the tough competition amongst the major automobile powerhouses in the world